One of the sweetest moments in a Central New York summer is the announcement of opening day at the local blueberry u-pick farm.
At my favorite farm, Swistak’s in Verona, a friendly driver will take you for a Kubota ride to a berry-laden section of their vast fields.
This year Swistak’s will open on July 14, 8:00am – 2:00pm, and then be open every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday also 8:00am – 2:00pm. Opening times can change due to the availability of ripe blueberries, so make sure to check their Facebook page or call (315-336-1251) before you go. Swistak’s offers buckets for picking, but you need to bring your own containers or purchase containers at the check out to carry your berries home.
Here’s a list of other good spots for blueberries in Central New York all checked and updated for 2016.
- Wereszczak’s Farm in Herkimer (Excellent blueberries, plus a gorgeous hilltop view of the Mohawk Valley)
- Brick House Acres in Frankfort
- North Star Orchards in Westmoreland
- Critz Farms in Cazenovia (And they even have a blueberry festival in August)
- Abbot Farms in Baldwinsville (Here’s a page full of blueberry fun facts on their website.)
- Hafner’s U-Pick in Baldwinsville
Do you know of any other good places to pick blueberries in Central New York? Please leave a comment so I can complete the list.